You can think of Sitagu Buddha Vihara as a small village, with housing,
infrastructure, power, water, wireless connectivity and other
utilities, roads, gardens, public and sacred spaces, a public library,
a business office, bills to pay, repairs to be made and all of it
running with virtually no paid staff and nor source of income, rather
on the basis of generosity. For this reason volunteer labor is vital
and a source of great merit. These are some of the centers of volunteer
- The kitchen. Meals must be served daily, food must be purchased
and prepared, dishes, counters and floors must be cleaned.
- Sweeping. We have a lot of paths, porches and decks that need
- Room cleaning, maintenance.
- Library. Shelving, cataloging, purchasing and ordering, tidying,
helping the clients find what they need.
- Office, reception, IT. These tasks range from maintaining our
accounts, managing room checkin and checkout, maintaining or upgrading
computer and network facilities and so on.
- Gardening. There are always bushes and flowers to water, weeds to
- Keeping practice spaces clean and properly arranged. Cleaning the
pagoda and Dhamma Hall and maintaining their altars, arranging flowers,
- Furniture, building repair and construction.
- Guiding tours. Showing visitors and tourists around the grounds
and explaining iconography.
Many people have taken on specific tasks routinely. Families show up on
weekends and just assign themselves to whatever needs doing, mixing
this with enjoying a meal and chatting with others.